The Health and Safety Executive has updated its guidance on the RIDDOR Regulations on how injuries should be dealt with and reported.

What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR stands for Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations and governs which workplace incidents require reporting, and how to report them.

Who does RIDDOR apply to?

  • Employers – must report work-related deaths and certain work-related injuries, occupational diseases and near misses involving their employees;
  • Those in control of premises – must report work-related deaths, certain injuries to members of the public and self-employed persons that occur at the premises as well as dangerous occurrences at the premises they control; and
  • Self-employed persons – need only report incidents whilst working on their own or domestic premises, or where a doctor diagnoses them with a work-related condition. If they are injured at someone else’s work premises, it is the person who is in control of the premises who is responsible for reporting.

What is a ‘work-related accident’?

Not all injuries are caught by RIDDOR. The incident has to ‘arise out of or in connection with work’ – even if nobody is to blame.

Guidance issued by the HSE suggests relevant factors include:

  • What was the injured person doing?
  • What were others around them doing?
  • Where did the accident happen?
  • Were work-structures, equipment or substances involved?

The guidance emphasises that accidents will be work-related where it is impacted by:

  • The way work is organised or supervised;
  • Plants, machinery, substances or equipment connected with the workplace; or
  • The condition of the workplace, including the state of its structure, fabric, floors, stairs, and lighting.

What injuries are covered?

The Regulations provides guidance as to what constitutes a reportable accident:

  • The death of any person and specified, reportable injuries: a death must be reported if it results from a work-related accident, whilst Regulation 4 of RIDDOR lists other injuries that must be reported (for example, fractures, loss of a limb, serious burns, etc).
  • 3-day injuries: Accidents resulting in a worker’s absence or inability to perform normal duties for more than three consecutive days must be recorded. This excludes the day of injury but includes rest days and holidays. There is no need to report these injuries as long as these are recorded in an accident book.
  • 7-day injuries: Accidents resulting in more than seven consecutive days’ absence or inability to perform normal duties must be reported. This does not include the date of injury, but includes weekends and rest days.

If a condition materialises itself later, it must be reported once it results in seven consecutive days’ absence or inability to perform normal duties.

  • Occupational Diseases: Must be reported where the disease was ‘likely caused OR worsened by the workplace’. Worsening includes identifying new symptoms attributable to somebody’s work.

The HSE guidance stresses that you are only required to report diseases where a doctor’s diagnosis is made. Employers must provide their diagnosis in writing to employers to trigger the reporting obligation. If the injured person is self-employed, then only a verbal diagnosis is required to trigger the reporting obligation.

Further RIDDOR guidance on common types of occupational diseases, including carpal tunnel syndrome, dermatitis, tendonitis, hand-arm vibration syndrome and asthma can be found here.

Other injuries may also require reporting under RIDDOR include:

You can read more about reportable incidents under RIDDOR.  

How do I report an accident?

RIDDOR reporting should be made using the online forms available on HSE’s website.

31st May 2024

FREE first advice

Have you ever wanted to just ask an expert employment law solicitor if they can help you, without worrying about what it may cost to contact them?

Get in touch

We’d like to talk to you to see what we can do to help, so please either call us anytime for free on 08000 614 631, email us or use the form below.

Together we can work out what your next steps might confidence, at no cost and with no obligation.


* indicates required
McCabe and Co Solicitors will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing. Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:
You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.
We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.