Some unions and representatives are outstandingly good. However, sometimes you get bad advice and miss the opportunity to enforce your employment rights against your employer. We are often asked if a member can bring a claim against their trade union.

It is possible. There could be a contractual duty of care but more likely, the union and the representative could owe you a responsibility to exercise ordinary skill and care when advising or representing you in an employment dispute.

It can be relatively straightforward to identify a breach of duty by a union representative. This could be as simple as failing to advise you of the need to make a claim to the Employment Tribunal or notify Acas of a potential claim within the prescribed time limits. Missing a crucial date will usually be fatal to your chances of bringing a claim against your employer.

What does “ordinary care and skill” include?

Exercising “ordinary skill and care” would likely extend to being able to advise you correctly as to basic time limits in the Tribunal but a union representative is neither responsible nor competent to give complex advice – so there is unlikely to be a breach when asked something technical. “Ordinary skill and care” does not extend to having the knowledge or experience of a specialist employment law solicitor.

The duty of care would usually come to an end when the union representative instructs a solicitor for you…even if you give instructions to the solicitor through the union. The exception to this position may arise if the union fails to properly pass on your instructions to the solicitor.


If a union representative fails to advise a member seeking advice to bring a claim for unfair dismissal in the Employment Tribunal that the claim must be made to the Tribunal within 3 months of dismissal, the union is likely to be in breach of its duty. In these circumstances, there  may be a claim for compensation against the union.

By contrast, a claim is unlikely to exist against a union in the same circumstances with the difference a solicitor is appointed to act for the member and it is the solicitor who fails to advise correctly as to the 3 month time limit. In such circumstance there is likely to be a claim against the solicitor.


FREE first advice

Have you ever wanted to just ask an expert employment law solicitor if they can help you, without worrying about what it may cost to contact them?

Get in touch

We’d like to talk to you to see what we can do to help, so please either call us anytime for free on 08000 614 631, email us or use the form below.

Together we can work out what your next steps might confidence, at no cost and with no obligation.


* indicates required
McCabe and Co Solicitors will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing. Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:
You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.
We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.